Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I don't know why, but...

...the Corvair trucks and vans are growing on me.

I'm up late tonight due to four slices of pizza and a can of Diet (eww!) Mountain Dew. So, after reading a book and checking email, I decided to check out some things on eBay. Sure enough, several people are selling Corvairs and Greenbrier parts. (One guy's even selling a box load of parts.) But what has begun to catch my attention is any mention of the Corvair trucks or vans. They're entirely unique—no question about it!

Take for instance this Corvair Rampside truck. When's the last time you saw a rear engined truck with a passenger side entry gate to the truck bed? That's definitely different (maybe odd is the better word?) It would take a bathtub full of money to restore something like this, (and I'm honestly not interested) but it is quite intriguing! What was GM thinking at the time?

But then there are some people who like interesting vehicles. They don't mind being a bit different than the rest of the people around them. That type of person wouldn't mind driving something odd like this. And when you see a restored model like this on eBay, you might begin to think that a restoration might be worth the effort ... and then again maybe it might not be.

3 comments:

Swade said...

I agree, Andy.

I don't know why, either.

Sorry.

*grabs hat and exits quietly........

Swade said...

OK, on second look....

It's got a unique quality to it. But you're right, it'd take a bucketload and then some to get it restored. Curiosity value, yeah.

Andy Rupert said...

Yeah, you can keep your hat!

Honestly, it's a strange thing but it's caught my attention anyway.