Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Test Drive: 1962 Corvair Monza

Craigslist Cleveland revealed a $2000 1962 Corvair sedan for sale. Little did I know that the car was parked at a repair shop just a mile away from Leikin Motor Company. So, after dropping the kids off at school and my wife at work (the Saab was at the body shop for some rust repair), I zipped over to check out the little car.

Little is the operative word here. This car was so small that even with the driver's seat all the way back, the steering wheel was two inches from my belly button. Sure, I've packed on a few pounds since high school and I was wearing a huge winter jacket, but this was too much to handle. There is no way that I could drive a car that small for any extended period of time! And with the seat so far back, leg room in the rear was pretty abysmal. There's room for maybe four people max in this car. I don't remember the Corvair convertible I test drove back in 1990 being that bad, but now I know that the car is much too small for people of my stature.

So, scratch the Corvair sedan off my list of cars I'd like to own some day. But don't scratch off the Greenbrier just yet. Just today, the owner finally offered it to me for a fairly reasonable price. If we can find a buyer for the Saab, we'll just have to see...

3 comments:

condor chou said...

How tall are you? I'm 5' 11' and in the market for a corvair coupe. going to go look at my first one tomorrow. A little worried about the configuration of the engine as well. I hear maintenance on that car is difficult...

Andy Rupert said...

I don't know much about the maintenance on the car. But do know that there are plenty of repair manuals and tips about the car on the internet. So, it shouldn't be too difficult.

As to my size, I'm 6' 3" tall and weigh 215 lbs. It was a bit smaller than expected in sedan form. Perhaps the convertible allows the front seat to move back more than the other?

Anonymous said...

two comments:

1. Supposedly it's rather easy to get an extra three inches of leg room in the first generation 'Vairs by moving and rewelding the anchors.
2. The second generation I've heard is friendlier to the tall.