Monday, September 22, 2008

It just happened

After much searching on eBay and craigslist, I was having a difficult time determining what car to get. The 1998 Volvo S70 had too much wrong with it. My wife didn't like the Lump, and the Saab still had two days to go before auction end. My wife wanted me to look at a couple of green (her favorite car color) 1995 SAAB 900s on craigslist Cleveland for a reasonable price, but I just wasn't sure. I was contemplating our next move when something happened that changed everything.*

A friend of one of my co-workers stopped by the dealership with a hard luck story. He had just purchased a small car when he found out that he and his wife were expecting their first child. The good news was met with our congratulations, but he was a bit bummed about having to trade in his sports car so soon. But being the nice guy that he was, he was resolved to trade-in his newly acquired car for something more practical.

Since the other Volvo salesmen were working with customers, it was my privilege to show him our inventory. We looked at the advantages of each model and he finally decided to purchase the Caper Green 2009 Volvo XC70. And although we weren't able to offer a very high appraisal on his car, he accepted it pretty much as offered.

After he drove away in his new car, I began thinking. I wonder what I could buy that car for? Since employees get somewhat of a discount on the cars that are traded in, it often works out that we get a pretty good deal. So, to make a long story short, I made an offer on the little car and will be driving it home tonight. What do you think?



*Note that the rest of this story is make believe.


No comments: