Saturday, September 27, 2008

Advertising Myself


One of the things I have learned in my short career as a car salesman is that a successful salesman wins customers over to himself first and then to the product. If the salesman is pleasant, humorous, and good natured, he will have an easier time winning the customer over to his product. But if he's rude, condescending, and overly pushy, he'll have a hard time getting the sale no matter how good the product or price may be.

But if business is slow even the best personality will need help bringing in customers. So that means investing in advertising. I recently heard about a car salesman that was always busy. A little investigation revealed that he had purchased advertising space on a prominent billboard in his town. I'm not able to invest in a billboard (at least at this point), but I have been investigating various ways to advertise myself. One idea is to place an advertisement on popular websites. Something like the following advertisement could be placed in the side margin.



Here's my thinking about this particular advertisement. Anyone who knows me, knows that I have owned SAABs for the pat few years. Sure, I've had some time with Jaguar and BMW, but Swedish cars have commanded most of my attention. So, that became the selling point of the text. I'd like to have a better picture, but this one will have to do until another is taken or customers start complaining.

No comments: