Tuesday, July 01, 2008

1982 Jaguar XJ-S: Painting the Window Frames


Earl at First Street Auto Body in Painesville has been a big help to me over the years here in Painesville. In the past he has painted our second Saab 900 and our church bus. Last week I took the XJ-S over to see about getting the window frames and the passenger side front wheel well painted. As you can see from the pictures, they were looking fairly worn. Earl looked the car over and eventually encouraged me to paint the window frames myself. This afternoon, I finally took him up on it.





To protect the car, I raided a kitchen drawer for a roll of masking tape and the kids' coloring cabinet for a roll of heavy white paper. To begin with, I placed masking tape along the edges of the windows to be sure the glass didn't get painted. The next step was taping paper across windows, chrome and body parts. A plastic bag worked well for covering the mirror. As you can see, it took a lot of paper and tape to cover things. And just to be sure, I used the car cover to protect the rest of the car.







A slight breeze was blowing which could have caused unwanted side effects. So, I prayed and asked God to calm the wind. Thankfully, he answered that prayer in the affirmative allowing me to apply several coats of paint. The results were quite satisfactory as you can see. Now for the other side...







1 comment:

EggsnGrits said...

Looks great!!!

I did this very thing to my Saab 900 'vert last summer. What a world of difference a couple of hours and a little paint can do!!!

I HIGHLY recommend SEM Color Coat (aka Vinyl Dye) for similar work on the plastics. http://www.sem.ws Stay with "semi gloss" and you'll be fine.