Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Update: 1982 Jaguar XJ-S

On March 1, 2008, I got off the Greyhound bus and purchased a 1982 Jaguar XJ-S from a young lawyer just across the border from New York City. Since then I've been using it as a daily driver and have accumulated a measly 3,644 miles. During that time is has averaged 15.74 mpg. That's not so hot when premium gasoline costs more than $4 per gallon. But it has done fairly well on the highway, getting as high as 22 mpg on one trip.



Since purchasing the car, I have replaced the tires, the alternator, one headlight, a power window switch, had a wheel alignment, had the driver's seat repaired, and had the oil changed twice. That seems to be a lot of repairs for such a short time. But when you consider that I knew about the tires, alignment, and seat before the purchase, I really can't complain. The alternator was the only real surprise.

All in all, I am enjoying the XJ-S. The car is fun to drive. Now mind you, it's not designed to beat cars off the line. But once you get going, it quickly puts a smile on your face. And no, I haven't tried reaching the top speed of 155 mph. The car also looks good. Most everyone comments on the style and is amazed at the purchase price.

However, there are a few downsides to the car. Before getting it fixed, the front seat wasn't very comfortable. Now that the seat is fixed, my head is brushing the ceiling. That kinda takes away from the experience, if you know what I mean. Also, it costs about $70 to fill up the tank with current fuel prices. While a tank lasts longer than a week, it still adds up quick. So who knows? Maybe if the price of gas keeps going up, I'll trade the Jag to someone for a Saab convertible!

No comments: