Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Mystery Car XXXVIII — Revealed

Eggs was right. And believe it or not, I already had already accessed the same sites when I wrote the answer last week.

Mystery Car XXXVIII is a 1960 Hillman Husky II, which was being offered for sale on Ebay Motors. I had never heard of it before finding it there. However, I found during my investigation that the same company produced the Imp.

As you can see, the car was fairly small. Its size allowed it to be powered by a 1.4 liter OHV four cylinder engine. I'm not sure how powerful it was. But if it was anything like the original Husky (35 hp), it simply wasn't.
The Motor magazine tested a Husky in 1954 and found it to have a top speed of 65 mph (105 km/h) and acceleration from 0-50 mph (80 km/h) in 24.3 seconds. A fuel consumption of 33.4 miles per imperial gallon (8.46 L/100 km/27.8 mpg US) was recorded. The test car cost £564 including taxes. (Wikipedia)
That may be why Dan Zapico opted for a different powertrain in this 1959 Husky II.



_______________

Hillman Husky II by Phil Seed
Hillman Husky by Wikipedia

No comments: