Tuesday, June 24, 2008

How much does your car weigh?


During high school I found out that another student's family owned a Jaguar XJ6. Being that my dad worked for Columbus Auto Parts (a parts supplier for domestic vehicles), I had never seriously considered anything from outside the country. But one thing that did catch my attention was a statement made about the car. All my friend said was, "That car is so heavy!"

Now what did that mean? The first thing that comes to mind is that the car must have quit running and the occupants had to push it somewhere. Twenty some years later that comes as no surprise. Older Jaguars are not known for their reliability. But the second thing that comes to mind is a question. Why was it so heavy?

With that in mind, I checked the weight of our 1982 XJ-S. If you've seen pictures of me standing next to the car, you know it's not very big. It stands shorter than most any other car on the road and doesn't have much room for more than two passengers. So how much does it weigh? This little darling weighs in at 4,656 pounds!* That's only 700 pounds less than our extended minivan. But why is it so heavy? Inquiring minds want to know.

*BTW, it has almost the perfect weight ratio with 2356 lbs. front (50.6%) and 2300 lbs. rear (49.4%).

No comments: