Saturday, May 17, 2008

Interview Update — Part 2

This weekend involved a trip to Columbus to attend a friend's wedding. Having three children under 10 years of age caused us to make three pit stops on the way back. (Note for future trips: Don't buy a 20 oz. bottle of pop for each child and then get irritated when asked to stop more than once.) Even with all the stops, it was a good trip.

When we got back to Painesville, we had two messages on our answering machine. The second one was from the sales manager of Leiken Volvo. After talking things over with the owner, they decided to offer me the job! That was good to hear.

I'm not sure what it will be like, but I'm excited to step through the door to this next opportunity. My first day will be Monday, June 2, 2008. But don't expect me to be ready to sell cars immediately. From what the owner told me, the first week will involve a good bit of training from NADA(sp?) in Cleveland. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

EggsnGrits said...

Cool. Didn't know that you'd joined the local Volvo dealer as a salesperson! Congrats!

Just catching up.

My brother-in-law was formerly the controller/finance officer at a large Oldsmobile/Nissan dealership here back when Olds was still in existance. He saw lots of people come and go from the dealership in the span of three-four years. One day, he got the boot, too.

Later, while shopping for a used car for my work, I visited another dealer and drove a couple of cars with a salesperson about ten years older than me. During our conversation, he revealed that he had been at the dealership for only a few days and didn't know exactly how the process worked to actually sell a car. I asked him what he had done previously, and he told me that he'd been a preacher for a large congregation a couple of hundred miles away and "things just didn't work out". Knowing that it was probably a scandalous seperation, I left it at that.

Later, I told my brother-in-law about driving the car, and I told him, "The salesman had quite a story -- and he'd only been at the dealership a few days." My brother-in-law stopped me right there and said, "Don't tell me. He was a preacher before and he is just trying to make his way back into the secular workplace." Stunned, I agreed. He continued, "Happens all the time. I don't know why, either. Probably one-third of the salesmen we hired at our dealership were former preachers. Most of them stay about six-eight months and move on. I suppose it's better than the younger guys that stay about three months and move on."

You're in good company.

Andy Rupert said...

I hope to return to pastoring some day. But until then there are plenty of mission fields right here in NE Ohio.