Tuesday, May 27, 2008

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme: Battery Removal

After letting the car sit for over a year, my neighbor asked for a jump. But no matter how long the attempt, the battery just wouldn't hold a charge. But how difficult is it to replace a battery? If you can't change your own battery, you might as well walk around with an "L" on your forehead, right? Well ... uh ... maybe not. The battery for this car seemed to be buried and welded into place. Not only do you have to remove a cross brace, you also have to remove the fuse box and windshield washer reservoir! Thankfully, AutoZone provided a step by step explanation on how to do it. But ...

Even after those pieces were removed, neither my neighbor nor I could remove the bolt which held the battery bracket down. You can imagine our chagrin when we found that the bottom nut had broken its weld and was spinning merrily for us. But we are championship backyard mechanic types. Where there's a will, there's a way! Reaching down past the battery, I was able to grasp the spinning nut with my fingers. But after 12 years, the bolt was just too rusty and I was unable to hold it.

No matter what we did or what angle we did it, there wasn't enough room for a pair of pliers or Channel Locks. So, like a good neighbor, I left the scene of the crime to eat our evening meal. After dinner, I sauntered out to see how things were going. Much to my surprise, the battery was out! I stared in disbelief. "How did you get it out?" My neighbor smiled and calmly said. "I just got frustrated enough." That's when I noticed the crowbar.

No comments: