Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pegged!

I drive the speed limit. My dad drilled the importance of that into my head while my mom prayed that I would become a good driver. Their influence and the accident that totalled my first car caused me to see the importance of obeying traffic laws. But as helpful as speed limits are, there are times when you have to do what you have to do. Let me explain.

Tuesday evening I was driving toward home after work. The weather was nice and the car was running well. I was actually cruising at about 5 mph below the posted 60 mph when it happened. I found myself trapped between a closely knit line of cars attempting to enter the freeway and another car pulling up beside me in the fast lane. This is usually not a problem as those entering the freeway are required to yield to those already in the lane. But this wasn't happening. The cars kept coming closer and closer. I was beginning to get worried and then it happened. I instinctively stomped on the accelerator.

Before I continue the story, you need to know that our Jaguar XJ-S has a three speed GM 400 automatic transmission coupled to a 295 hp V12 engine. Depressing the acclerator at 55 mph kicks the car into first gear. You can probably imagine the crazy feeling, rapid acceleration, and loud exhaust note that accompanies that action. In what seemed like a second, the car leaped forward and the speedometer pegged at 85/90 mph. Here again, you need to realize that at the time my car was built most US speedometers registered no higher than 85 mph. Somebody said it was required by law.(?) I've never pegged a speedometer in my life, but now that I have, I can see why so many people are addicted to speeding. Wow!

2 comments:

Steven said...

Andy, I'm a little confused as to what the "it" was that happened as the two lanes seeme to be merging. It read as if something happened to trigger the foot-planting, but I didn't get what it was.

Andy Rupert said...

The "it" was the instinctive stomp on the accelerator and the subsequent jump forward. It enabled me to miss the cars which were ignoring me as they tried to force themselves onto the highway.

I don't know how it is down under, but here those entering the highway are expected to yield to those already on it. This line of cars wasn't paying attention.