Monday, April 07, 2008

The $2.3 billion dollar question

The following is my response to TaTa Jaguar and Land Rover: Was Ford Your Demise?
My last two vehicles have been older Jaguars (a 1990 XJ6 and currently a 1982 XJ-S). From what I have experienced and heard from others, Jaguars produced in the 70's and 80's were fun to drive but also fairly unreliable. Electrical issues were a big problem. But according to those most acquainted with them, the cars became more reliable after Ford's acquisition. If in doubt, read one Jaguar mechanic's opinion of the matter here.

The question that comes to mind is this. If Ford helped the cars to become more reliable, why were they losing so much money? I don't have all the answers to this question. But I did notice a loss of "Jaguar-ness" after the purchase. The cars, in my opinion, lost the enchanting British style they had before. Let's be honest, when you can't tell the difference between a Ford Taurus and a Jaguar sedan, there's a real problem!

Will Tata do any better?

Who can really say? This is a new direction for Tata. Yes, they have experience with cars, but not with a luxury brand. Yes, they have experience with luxurious hotels, etc., but that doesn't guarantee they will do well with two luxury automobile divisions. In the end, time will tell. And I hope that the future holds a good report for the new Tata Jaguar.

No comments: