Friday, April 11, 2008

1982 Jaguar XJ-S: Radio Removal

Shortly after purchasing the XJ-S, the radio quit working. The reason was not readily available, but being that the car is 26 years old, who can complain? Before I could get to replacing it with a newer one, I noticed an interesting phenomenon. One of my children was yanking the 15" rubber coated antenna back and forth. "Hey, stop that!" Upon hearing that story, my dad suggested checking out the antenna before junking the radio.

That was a fair enough proposition, but when I looked over the antenna wires everything appeared to be in proper position. So, the next step was removing the radio. That was today's project. Well, at least it was one of them. I also replaced the passenger side power window button and removed the rest of the bushes in front of our house. Those were both needing to be done.

But let's get back to the radio. Removing an old two knob radio (remember it's a 1982) isn't especially difficult if you've done it before. You just pull off the plastic knobs and the thin nuts which hold it in place and look for any other hardware holding the radio to the console, right? Then again, maybe it's not that easy.

The Hayne's manual was a joke. It basically said what I just wrote above. I'm not kidding. I'd sell it on Ebay but I don't want the next guy to suffer through it. The problem is that both the XJ12 (think XJ6 with a V12), the Daimler Double-six (think XJ12 with a different name plate), and the XJ-S are covered in the same manual. For cryin' out loud, what were they thinking? The bodies of the cars are entirely different. The only thing they share is the engine. Aaarrrggghhh!!!

The CD-ROM wasn't much better as I've not learned how to navigate through the manual. So, I looked up how to do it on the internet. My first stop was Bernard Embden's Jaguar Website where he shows pictures of him removing the radio from his 1978 XJ-S and replacing it with a modern unit. But even after reading his explanation, I was still not sure how to remove the facia against which the radio and climate control knobs rest.

So, I searched again and found Radio Replacement in a 1989 Jaguar XJS by Jason Philbrook. (He also happens to own a SAAB 900 Turbo. Must be fairly intelligent, wouldn't you say?) What I found there and hadn't caught at the previous site was that the round retaining retaining rings are what holds the facia in place. I had removed one but the other one was still stuck in place. The radio is out now and the next step is to connect the old harness to the newer radio.

No comments: