Monday, March 31, 2008

Where did oil come from?


Last year, a co-worker told me that petroleum products come from the remains of dinosaurs. As strange as it may seem to you, I think that was the first time I had ever heard that before. But you must take into account that my Christian upbringing and subsequent conversion have biased me against evolution. Needless to say, I was not overly optimistic that "million year old" dinosaurs could have produced anything that was still usable today.

But to be fair, I did research the idea on the internet. A quick Google search revealed that the dinosaur–oil idea is not necessarily accepted by all scientists (not that this proves anything, mind you). One group of scientists believes that oil is the product of extreme heat and melted rocks deep within the earth. Another group believes that oil is the product of plant and/or animal matter which under great pressure became oil. Although I am not a scientist, the second idea resonated with me as it seemed to fit with the biblical data concerning Noah's Flood.

But who am I to say? By reading my articles, you will quickly discover that I am neither a science professor nor a convincing debater. However, a Christian scientist with a better understanding of the idea has written a well-documented article about the idea: The Origin of Oil by Andrew A. Snelling, Ph.D. Note also the interesting companion article which explains the fairly recent use of slaughter house animal waste to produce high quality oil. This seems to corroborate the idea that oil comes from (or at least the possibility that it can come from) animals.

After reading the article and thinking back through the biblical record (see Genesis 6-8), my conclusion is that oil is most probably a biological result of the Great Flood. If the Bible is true (and I believe that it is), this would explain not only the great pressure needed to turn biological remnants into oil but a great many other things about the past, present, and future. Think about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good link.

It looks like your co-worker was right to say that oil deposits came from dinosaurs. The ironic part is that it did not take as long as he thought.

That should be encouraging to atheists because there is hope for replenishing that natural resource much more quickly than millions of years.

It should also be encouraging to Christians because pure science fits very nicely with God's Word, the Bible.

Brad.

Anonymous said...

Oil came from small animals and plankton that died and was buried in sediment prior to decomposing. Although dinosaurs may have played a small part in the formation of "fossil fuels" the evidence suggests that plant matter was the primary source for todays oil.