Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Good (Samaritan) Skateboarder

When we arrived at the parking lot outside of the school in which our cub scout troop meets, I noticed a boy skateboarding on the sidewalk. I have to be honest that I'm not very fond of the stereotypical skateboarder. I'm sure there are good people involved in that sport, but most in our area dress like homosexuals and enjoy ruining public and private property. So, my first reaction was not especially good.

But remembering the love of Jesus prompted me to greet the kid as we walked to the entrance door. We had a short conversation and he showed me a few of his tricks. He told me he had only been doing it for about a year. I thought he was pretty good for that amount of practice and complemented his success before entering the building.

A few minutes later, the boy had come into the building and was walking toward me. That's strange. What's he doing in here? "Hey mister, the lights on your car didn't go off." I sheepishly thanked the kid and walked out to turn them off. It just goes to show that you really can't judge a book by its cover.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skaters dress like homosexuals? O_o

Andy Rupert said...

Unfortunately, many of those around our town do.

Anonymous said...

Forgive me, but...

“I’m sure there are good people [...] but most [...] dress like homosexuals.”

What does that even mean? Does dressing like a homosexual make you a bad person? And what does “dress like a homosexual” mean? It’s awfully hard to do ollies if one is dressed like, say, Nathan Lane in The Birdcage. ( ;

The implicit bigotry and judgment makes one question if you really did “remember the love of Jesus.”

Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

Andy Rupert said...

Perhaps you missed the point of the article, friend. Despite my dislike for the actions and attitudes of the stereotypical (to me) skateboarder in our area, I learned that you can't always judge someone by the outward appearance. If that wasn't clear, I'm not sure what else to say.

However, I want you to understand why I said what I did. I recognize that my revulsion toward homosexuality is not acceptable in today's culture. But you must admit that the Bible clearly treats it as a sin. And even more, it says that it is a result of rejecting God. Read Romans 1:18-32 if you are not yet convinced.