Thursday, March 06, 2008

Do XJ40 rims fit on an XJ-S?

The 1982 Jaguar XJ-S we recently purchased was advertised as needing the tires rotated, which can also be interpreted as "the tires are completely bald up front." So, with the XJ40 still sitting in the garage with two new tires, you know what I was thinking. Could I swap the tires rims and all? An email to a Jaguar parts site resulted in a carefully worded response ("Yes they should fit.") which gave me enough courage to give it a try. (Six attempts up the slushy driveway also provided some motivation.)



We had a snow day yesterday which enabled me to start the wheel swap. I have to admit that it worked fairly well. The Goodyear Comfort Treads on the rear of the XJ-S enabled me to back up the icy driveway on the first attempt. But even so, I was unsure whether I liked the look — especially the starfish rims on the XJ40. What do you think?



Then this afternoon I received an offer on the XJ40 which I agreed to accept. This meant that the front rims would need to be swapped before the deal was completed tomorrow morning. As soon as I got home from work, I got busy. But as motivated as I was, it wasn't long before I noticed a problem. The XJ40 rims fit on the front of the XJ-S, but not with the center cap installed. The hub seal cap (term?) stuck out too far. But being "a few fries short of a Happy Meal," I decided that I could remove the Jaguar emblem later, or (are you ready for this?) drill a hole in the hub cap.



This foolish idea was destined to fail. As I mounted the starfish on the XJ40, I quickly noticed that the rim would not turn. Why? It was rubbing against the brake caliper! Argghhh!!! You know what that meant, right? Yep, it meant that all three rims would have to be swapped back to their original places. With the use of one hydraulic jack and two jack stands, the entire ill-conceived process took 5¼ hours (3½ today and 1¾ yesterday). What can I say? I'm gifted.

If nothing else, I hope this article will keep someone else from making the same mistake. And yes, you're welcome.

1 comment:

EggsnGrits said...

That's too bad. Those wheels look good on that car!