Saturday, June 30, 2007

Saab Bonding

Last night, while attending a party for a Mentor Christian School graduate, the hostess told me that she had to introduce me to a Saab guy who was going to be there. After the meal, Gary P. introduced himself. We immediately found a common bond in that we had both owned Classic 900s in the past. Although I no longer own one and he now owns a 9-5, it was fun to swap Saab stories.

His first Saab was a brand new 1985 900 8 valve. What won him over was its sure footedness in a snow storm. I can remember a similar experience with our first Saab 900 (a 1988 which also happened to be an 8 valve). We made it through a blizzard while driving back from Pennsylvania. We had no trouble at all. It's strange how the 8 valve handled winter better than the 16 valves I owned later. Hmmm.

At the end of our conversation, I was struck with how quickly two complete strangers could be "united" by a similar experience. I'd never met the guy before, but we carried on a conversation for 15-20 minutes as if we'd known each other for years.

No comments: