Monday, May 14, 2007

Temporary Wheels

Today, I signed over the title to the new owner of the Saab. He dropped me off at work and I bummed a ride home from a coworker. Now what? The Jaguar won't be available until our check clears, so I'll be needing something else to drive the few miles from Painesville to Perry. What could be done?



Mike Haselow came to my aid by allowing me to drive his 1993 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. What fun! He's not been driving it due especially to a tricky transmission. It won't shift into third gear for some reason. But considering the limited distance I'll be travelling, that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks, Mike.

4 comments:

EggsnGrits said...

A 14-year-old Chrysler that won't shift into third? What a shock. (Yawn.)

A 14-year-old Chrysler that actually shifts into second? What?!!? And it didn't make the papers????

Andy Rupert said...

It makes you wonder why their minvans sell so well with such a reputation for tranny failure.

BTW did you know Maserati came out with a LeBaron based car just like this? I've seen several on eBay.

Andy Rupert said...

You can view a 1989 Chryslerati/Maserysler here on eBay.

EggsnGrits said...

I did know about that car -- it was as crappy as the LeBaron.

And, limiting the failure to the tranny is like saying that the Titanic sank because it encountered a little cold water.

I owned a 1989 Dodge Spirit ES (http://www.davecompton.com/89Spirit.htm) that was a complete disaster. The interior, trim, everything seemed to fall apart.

I was spared the tramission issues since I had the manual transaxle, but a few minor things like engine overheating, constant (really) electrical issues and the brakes (yikes!) were always on the fritz.

Not a reliable car, no.

I swore off Chrysler for good after that. I almost went back on my word to buy a new Charger, but we bought the Avalon instead.