Monday, May 07, 2007

Something

Between my morning and mid day bus routes, I drove the Saab toward Madison to look at some used cars. (The buyer hadn't arrived yet.) As I got closer to Wal Mart on Rt. 20, I began to smell gasoline. What could it be? Oh I know. It's that extra fuel pump I was planning on giving the new owner. I had placed a box of used parts in the trunk for the new owner to use. A plastic bag seemed to be an appropriate way to mask the smell, but when I checked the trunk, the fuel pump wasn't there. Instead, the smell was coming from the engine. I had a slow fuel leak in the supply line to the fuel rail.

The good people at Northridge Tire & Brake looked things over but decided that replacing the entire line was the only option that would work long-term. But when they told me the part itself would be $200 and it wouldn't be available until Friday, I decided a little electrical tape would hold things together until I could look it over after work. The tape did get me back to work, but it was the Lord Jesus answering my many prayers which got me home as evidenced by an uneventful trip despite the trail of fuel left behind me.

I stopped at NAPA to see if they had any replacement lines. "Zeke" told me that the plastic lines could be patched by using high pressure, rubber fuel injector hose, compression clamps, and something I call a stint. It's a metal straw shaped thingy to which you attach the hose on one side and the plastic line on the other. The secret of it all was getting the old plastic line hot enough to fit over the stint. That took some trial and error, but I'm sure there are others who have cooked plastic fuel lines in boiling water before, right?

As you can see from the picture, I re-routed the fuel line to keep it away from the engine block and starter. The end result is that the leak is gone and all that for only $10! But another result was that this unexpected repair caused the auction winner to feel uneasy about driving the car from Ohio back to New Jersey. So, I allowed him the option of backing out which he did. Funny thing was that he told me next time I shouldn't offer a Buy-it-now option as I'd probably get more money for the car! We'll see.






5 comments:

Andy Rupert said...

P.S. Laura, like the outfit? Since I was working with gasoline, I wanted to wear something that I wouldn't mind getting dirty. Oops. Sorry.

EggsnGrits said...

You see, the Lord works in mysterious ways. Keep the car!

But, should you decide to go against the wishes of the Almighty, you really should drive the Ford Taurus SHO. Those cars are fast and a great drive. It's a shame that they didn't give them a more distinctive look, but I guess that was always a part of the attraction: they're sleepers.

Swade said...

Welcome back to the fold, Andy!

Is that inappropriate?

Andy Rupert said...

After getting in bed last night, I asked my wife what she thought. Should we keep the car after all? She didn't mind one way or the other. (But then she has never really liked the Classic 900 style. She'd liked her black 9000 CSE we sold last year.) But after thinking it through, I've decided to put it back on eBay. Hey, you never know. Maybe a low priced 9-5 wagon will become available.

Eggs, the SHO is out of the question for me. I really dislike Ford's styling inside and out. Like I said previously, after owning a Saab it's difficult to purchase something less. I did look at the 95 Buick Riviera again. Those are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in! But the back seat is way too small. I had my knees to my chin behind the front seats. So that's out. I'm still leaning toward an 87 XJ6 or an 88 BMW 735i.

Laura said...

Nice enough shirt, but who puts on a red hat with a lime green shirt?