Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Sold! (part 2)

Just before heading to church, a man from Maine called to ask a few questions. I walked outside with the phone and answered each question with the car in view. He even had me start the car so he could listen to the engine and exhaust. That was a good idea — especially as he was unable to visit before hand. He said he'd call later that evening to make his offer.

When I got home, my email contained two offers of trades. One was a 1979 Cadillac with 20" rims. No thanks on that one.



But the other was a 1985 Mercedes Benz 380se with a V8. Fuel economy would be a problem, but it sounded interesting. But before any trades were made, the man from Maine called and made his offer.



Now before I tell you what happened, you have to understand something. I would never make it as a car salesman. I'm way too nice. When we sold Sharon's 9000, I gave it away for an unreasonably low offer (but I did keep the aluminum rims). So, on the way back from church tonight, we talked about what would be an appropriate bid to accept. What if we were offered this or that. After much discussion, and noting that 19 people were watching the auction in their "my eBay," we decided to stick with $3000.

Could Mr. Nice Guy be firm? Yes, after being offered a lower amount, the buyer from Maine agreed to puchase the car for the $3000 Buy-it-now price. So, here we go again. Some time next week, he'll be flying in to Cleveland where I'll meet him with the car. Sounds good to me. And if the buyer is reading this, allow me to be one of the first to offer my congratulations. You made a good choice.

No comments: