Friday, March 23, 2007

218, 156, or 93?

When the speedometer began to flop all over the place, I decided to fix it myself. This led to purchasing a used 1990 unit which had 218,000 miles on the odometer. I was willing to put up with the miles as long as everything else worked. But when I received it, I quickly noticed that the back of the unit was a bit different than mine ... and that it wouldn't work. So, back to the drawing board.



I ran the car for several months without a speedometer which often led to interesting conversations whenever someone new rode with me. But then so did the original speedometer when it pegged at 130 mph on the highway. Without the gauge I began to wonder how fast I was really driving whenever the State Highway Patrol came into view. I also wondered what I would tell him about the missing gauge. So I decided to purchase another used speedometer from the junk yard.

This unit came from a 1989 turbo convertible. I did feel a bit bad tearing the car apart for mine, but it had to be done. The odomoter reading was a bit better at 156,000 but not quite as respectable as 93,000. But at least it worked when I installed it. For the first time in a while I actually knew the speed I was travelling through town. But the hurrahs didn't last long as I soon found that the odometer did not work! Ugggh!

So, today I decided to tear apart the three units to see what I could do. After several attempts and three piles of left over screws, I successfully completed surgery on the original unit. The working speedometer head from the 156k unit was combined with the odometer from the 93k unit, and the clock spring and needle from the 218k unit! What a challenge! But it's all installed. And can you guess what happened? Yep, I'm back where I started. The odomter works but the speedometer reads quite a bit faster than actual speed.



I guess I'm back where I started. The only other thing I can think to do is to purchase a new speedometer head or make a new speedometer gauge label with the numbers further advanced. What do you think?

No comments: