Monday, January 15, 2007

2007 Detroit Auto Show

Why would someone born in Columbus, Ohio take his sons for a day trip to the state up north?
  1. The fact that I am an Ohio State Buckeye fan usually keeps me away from crossing the border, and ...
  2. The fact that the North American International Auto Show was somewhat near Ann Arbor was something to consider, and ...
  3. The fact that the trip would take 3½ hours one way didn't help the cause, but ...
  4. The fact that the Saab Aero X was going to be on display was enticing, then ...
  5. The fact that there was no school on Monday finally pushed me over the edge.
So, Jefferson, Trenton and I took the plunge and used some extra Christmas cash to attend the 2007 Detroit Auto Show. Despite getting lost in town, several friendly people pointed us in the right direction. After forking out $10 for parking and $18 for tickets, we entered the show and began the search for the car made famous in Tasmania. After looking at some uninteresting cars and a few odd concepts, I saw a GM sign in the distance. As we walked closer, a bright white car came into view. It was pretty much the first car to see as the crowd walked into the GM section. But... the cockpit was closed!







After watching Swade's video of the car in Australia, I was hoping for someone to show off the opening and closing of the cockpit. I also thought I might be able to actually sit in the car, but the car was roped off with security officers keeping an eye on things. I asked some Saab reps when the car would be opened, but they didn't have a time table. So, we walked around and checked back periodically. It wasn't until we were about to leave that I half-heartedly checked for the third time and found it already opened.









I'm glad we got to see the Aero X. It certainly is an eye catching design and a concept which should be produced some day. But, all that being said, I probably wouldn't do it again. Surprised? After all those pictures, you're thinking the car made my day. Sorry to let you down, but ...
  1. Today was the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday, which meant that ...
  2. Everybody else in the USA had the day off, which meant that ...
  3. Everybody within driving distance was at the Detroit Auto Show, which meant that ...
  4. It was difficult to enjoy the displays with fourteen people under each armpit, which led to ...
  5. People rudely sitting down next to us in test vehicles without asking, and ...
  6. Did I mention the 3½ hour trip?

No comments: