Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Acquisition Five

Occasionally, I will read the classifieds section of Saabnet. I especially keep an eye on the parts wanted page seeing that I still have an assortment of parts from the previous two 900s. By doing that, I have been able to supply quality parts to Saab owners in places as far away as Alaska. That has been a fulfilling and profitable experience for me.

But I have recently been looking over another page on that site—the free items page. A month ago, I came across a free 1968 Saab Sonett in New York. The owner claimed that it might only need a carburetor. That was tempting. But after looking for parts, I realized how difficult a project of that nature would be. No doubt there are ways of finding such parts, but coupled with the fact that the car was located on the other side of New York, I reluctantly decided against the 16 hour round trip.

Then, happily, I found a 1986 Saab 9000 Turbo up for grabs just outside of Detroit. MapQuest said the trip would take about 3 1/2 hours. So, I began to think about the possibilities. I thought maybe the speedometer might be a match for the ailing one in the 900. And after looking at the pictures provided by the owner, I noticed that the interior was the exact color to match our car. Perhaps we could pull the passenger seat and replace Sharon's. (The back of her seat doesn't adjust anymore.) What to do?

To make a long story short, I finally decided to make the trip with a U-Haul auto transport with the company of a buddy from church. After twelve hours of hooking up the trailer, driving a conversion van with an ailing transmission, asking a neighbor for help at 2 am to push the car off the trailer, and being informed that the only toilet in our home was hopelessly clogged, I finally made it to bed about 3:30 am. What an experience!

1 comment:

Andy Rupert said...

After fixing the clogged toilet, I stripped everything of use out of the 9000. The car was so rusty that it would be foolhardy to think of investing any time or money into it.

So far, I have removed the headlights, marker lights, radio, equalizer, front passenger seat, and a number of other small items. I hope to sell most of these on the internet. But the radio looks like it might be a good replacement for the one in my 900. We'll see.