Monday, October 16, 2006

Saab Speedo

In an earlier post, I mentioned the problem I had with my speedometer being off about 18 mph at highway speeds. Well, it's become worse. While traveling back from the OBF Fall Conference, I set the cruise at 83 mph to keep at the right speed. But people were passing me as if I was driving too slow. So, I began to wonder about the speedo again.

It took a long time to make it back to Mentor. (I was listening to the Buckeyes' football game, so I didn't mind.) But when I turned onto Center Street to pick up my Sunday School lesson at the church, I noticed that the speedo was bouncing around and had me going 65 mph in a 35 mph zone. Uggh! What's the deal?

I've called around to price a new speedo and was surprised at the high cost. The dealership wants $468 for a new one. A junk yard wants $125 for a used one. And a shop in Virginia wants $95 to repair it after I pull it and send it to them. The Maserati mechanic suggested that the problem might be the speedo cable. The Saab Site lists three popular reasons why they go bad.

I really don't know what to think. What would you do?

No comments: